- a traveller, a holiday renter or holidaymaker who is using the Site to look for properties to rent (a “Holiday Renter, “Holiday Maker” a “Traveller”),
- a property owner, lessor or property manager (a “Host” or an “Owner”) who is listing/submitting one or more properties/space/room for rent on the Site, or
- any other person who is using the software or other tools or services we provide on the Site.
Unless we explain otherwise in this policy, the words and phrases used in this policy have the same meaning as in the Terms and Conditions.
What is Applelets?
The Site is intended for use by individuals who are over 18 years of age.
Who Processes Your Personal Information?
Information that can identify you (“personal information“) will be collected, processed, stored and used by us, and passed to and processed by companies in the Applelets Group and other third party data processors acting under our instructions or those of one of the companies in the Applelets Group. These people may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your information requests and the provision of support tools and services on the Site. They may also be helping us maintain the integrity and security of the Site, including payment processing services and emails and messaging platforms on the Site.
We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive include travel history and demographic information. By submitting your personal information, you agree to this collection, transfer, storing and/or processing.
When you use Applelets’s services to connect with other people (for example, if you use the Applelets network to communicate with Travellers who may wish to rent your property) that communication will also be accessible to us and will be covered by this policy.
Our Site may also collect and store some information (including personal information) locally on your device using your browser and data caches. This could include, for example, photographs of properties you have viewed online. We use this information in order to make our site faster when you visit and to show you properties of interest when you return to the Site.
Please also remember that when you share information on the Site, it may be “indexable” by search engines, including Google, which may mean that the information is made public. For example, if you review a property you have stayed at, the review and any information you provide as part of that review may be publicly accessible (including on other websites). Please be careful about what you disclose and do not post any information that you expect to keep private. Please consult the Content Guidelines, https://www.applelets.co.uk/info/about-us/legal/terms-conditions/content-guidelines, for use of these features. We are not responsible for how third parties, including other users, may use or disclose information that you post in public areas of the Site or otherwise directly share with other users or third parties.
The Information We Collect
At various times, you may give information to us. This includes information that can identify you, including your first and last name, telephone number, postal and email addresses, fax number, and credit card information. For example, in order to send a request or enquiry from a Traveller to a Host or an Owner, we may need to know all or some of the following: your full name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, your current location, and, in the case of an Owner’s listing, a method of payment. You may also give personal information to us at other times, such as when registering on the Site, when submitting an advertisement for a property or communicating with another user of the Site. We may also receive your personal information when you set up financial account information for payment processing.
If you make or use social media features on the Site, the social media provider may send us information in line with their policies. That information may include personal information such as your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists and any other information you have chosen to make available. Please note that, if you have friends using social media who are using the Site, they may also have shared information about you with us through the social media platform. If you wish to prevent that sharing, you can do so by editing the settings/preferences in your account with the relevant social media providers.
We may also gather information from cookies, web beacons or similar technologies from the internet. You can find out more about how we do that in the relevant section of this policy below and in our Cookies Policy. We use the publicly accessible information to verify the information we are provided with and to manage and expand Applelets’s business. With the prior user’s consent, as applicable, that can be withdrawn at any time, in order to provide services requested by users, we also collect IP addresses, mobile device identifier details, your location, navigation and click-stream data, the time of accessing the website, properties you viewed, what you searched for, the duration of your visit, and other details of your activity on the internet. If you ask us to connect with other sites (for example if you ask us to connect with your Facebook account) we may get information that way too. In connection with electronic communications we facilitate through a Site, we use electronic or manual checks to monitor such communications for trust and security purposes. For further details on how we collect personal information, see Surveys and Newsletters below. We obtain data from you either by you inputting your personal details, by the automatic collection of information about you as you use the Site when we speak to you or from third parties or websites. Third party information may include financial information from our payment processor partners that we use to update our records and to prevent and detect fraud, information from your mobile provider if you are accessing the Site over a mobile device or information from a third party such as a social media or travel opinions site.
We may collect reviews written by Travellers on a property they have stayed in (“Traveller Review”) and/or written by Owners on a Traveller’s stay (“Owner Reviews”). Traveller Reviews are displayed on our Site, while Owner Reviews will only be disclosed to Owners who receive an inquiry or booking request from that Traveller. Owner Reviews enable an Owner to know more about the Traveller who has contacted them and therefore increases trust in our platform. Owners must comply with the Terms and Conditions. and applicable law and this includes not using any information about a Traveller to discriminate against such Traveller.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Our primary purpose in collecting your personal information is to provide you with the services you requested and those which we believe will optimise your use of the Site. We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- For the services provided on the Site or to support your request;
- To contact you from time to time with critical user or service updates;
- To send other messages that are useful to the service we provide on the Site;
- To assist people, you have done (or agreed to do) business with. For example, if you are an Owner and a Traveller who has booked or enquired with you needs your details we may pass them on; if you are a Traveller and an Owner you have booked with needs to contact you we may give them your details;
- To provide personalised, targeted, or location-based content, services, and advertising from us and third parties with the prior user’s consent that can be withdrawn at any time.;
- If necessary, to measure your interest in and improve our products, services and the Site;
- To promote the services related to the Site or those of the Applelets Group, our parent company and its affiliates and/or our affiliates by email and via social media platforms;
- To compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
- To provide information and statistics on the responsiveness of owners to enquiries on the Site, to improve Travellers’ experience using anonymous and aggregated information;
To help us meet our legal and compliance obligations – for example, we may use personal information we hold on you to do background checks, to screen prospective Owners against official lists in the UK and overseas and to do credit checks.
How We May Disclose Your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to enforce our policies, defend and protect the rights, property or safety of the Applelets Group, the Site and the users of the Site, to comply with our legal obligations or in the interest of national security, public interest or law enforcement in any country where the Applelets Group has entities or affiliates. For example, we may respond to a valid request by a law enforcement agency or regulatory or governmental authority (including tax authorities). We may also disclose data in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect our property, people and other rights or interests.
We share your information with third parties (including other Applelets Group affiliates) who help deliver our products and services to you. Examples include third parties who are hosting our web servers, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, and providing customer service. These companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use that data for any other purpose.
We may also share your personal information as follows:
- If you opt-in to receive information about the opportunities, products, or services of third parties, we supply your contact information to those third parties so they may contact you;
- When creating a profile on our Site, the information in your profile may be available to be viewed by other users of our Site;
- We will display a username (taken from your profile) with any content that you contribute to the Site (including Owners Review, Traveller Review, an Owners response to a Traveller Review, forum posts or any other content submitted by a User);
- With an Owner or a Host, if you send them an enquiry through the Site;
- With an Owner, if you make what we consider to be a complaint either online via our website, by email to us, or by telephone and you agree to your complaint and name being shared with the Owner;
- With another user, if you have done or may do business with them;
- We may display statistics of usage, such as information related to the responsiveness of owners, in the listings;
- With Companies in the Applelets Group and/or affiliates and our corporate affiliates in the leisure and travel sector, including the companies listed here;
- With other companies, we work with to feature all or part of our Owners’ property listings or otherwise provide promotional or other services related to our or Applelets Group’s business. This might include featuring your listings and photographs on other websites;
- With any third party, you have asked us to share your personal information with, which, by way of example, in the case of Facebook, may include identifying information if you have asked us to connect with your Facebook account; or
- With any applicable tax authorities or other authorities allowed to collect taxes, where necessary to pay taxes from or on behalf of Travellers or Owners to tax authorities in accordance with our terms and conditions and to comply with any valid request
We may also share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our websites. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest and to audit the efficacy of our advertising.
International Data Transfers
Personal information about users may be stored and processed in any country in which we, our affiliates, or service providers maintain facilities, including countries (like the United Kingdom or the United States of America) which are outside of the country or region in which you reside.
Users may subscribe to our newsletter service. We and Applelets group may offer different newsletters from time to time intended to enhance the services we or they offer. All Users may cancel their subscription to these email newsletters at any time through the unsubscribe link, although it may take a short while for the changes in your preferences to become effective.
We may use surveys to gather information about our users. From time to time, we request users’ input in order to evaluate potential features and services. The decision to answer a survey is completely yours. We use information gathered from surveys to improve our services.
From time to time we may provide activities on the Site. These activities may allow for connectivity with other users or third parties. If that is the case, you consent to your personal information being transferred accordingly.
When you download or use apps relating to our websites, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalised content. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you consult your device’s manual, or contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer.
Enquiries and other Electronic Communications
Travellers may send enquiries to Owners via a Site, and Travellers and Owners may also communicate further with each other via tools on a Site. If you choose to send an enquiry to an Owner on a Site, your name and any other information you supply will be visible to the relevant Owner so that they can reply to you. Enquiries sent using the Applelets system are also available for review by our employees, agents and representatives, who may use any such information as part of the services we provide.
If Travellers and Owners further engage in communications through a Site, we also have access to those communications, which we may monitor for trust and security purposes and in order to provide services.
If you engage in such communications and call the other party, you may be asked to leave a return telephone number. Do not share information in the e-mail or phone call that you are not prepared to allow such person and Applelets group to have, including, but not limited to, credit card and bank account information. Before disclosing any credit, card or bank details or making any payments, please take the time to visit our Community Pages where you can find more details about phishing and how to reduce your risk.
We may also from time to time, use third party e-mail servers to send and track receipt of such communications, and analyse the pattern of such communications for trust and security purposes as well as to gather data, such as enquiry and booking data (on an anonymous basis), to assist us in better understanding our business. Our system does not hold messages indefinitely and they may not be accessible after the message has been delivered to you. Please, therefore, print a copy of any message which is important to you – for example a payment receipt or a booking confirmation.
This Is How We Protect Your Personal Information Once We Have It?
We take appropriate technical and organisational measures to guard against unauthorised or unlawful processing of your personal information and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal information. While no system is completely secure, we believe the measures implemented by the Site reduce our vulnerability to security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved. We have security measures in place to protect our user database and access to this database is restricted internally. However, it remains each user’s responsibility:
- To protect against unauthorised access to your user account;
- To ensure no-one else uses the Site while the user’s device is logged on to the Site (including by logging on to your device through a mobile, Wi-Fi or share access connection you are using);
- To log off or exit the Site when not using it;
- Where relevant, to keep your password or other access information secret. Your password and log in details are personal to you and should not be given to anyone else or used to provide shared access for example over a network. You should use a password which is unique to your use of the Site – do not use the same password as you use for another site or email account; and
- To maintain good internet security and avoid security threats. For example, if your email account or Facebook account is compromised this could allow access to your account with us if you have given us those details and/or permitted access to those accounts. If your email account is compromised it could be used to ask us to reset a password and gain access to your account with us. You should keep all of your account details secure. If you think that any of your accounts has been compromised you should change your account credentials with us, and in particular, make sure any compromised account does not allow access to your account with us. You should also tell us as soon as you can so that we can try to help you keep your account secure and if necessary warn anyone else who could be affected.
Note that, despite the measures taken by us and the third parties we engage, the internet is not secure. As a result, others may nevertheless unlawfully intercept or access private transmissions or data.
External Links and social plug-ins
What are Cookies, Web Beacons and Clear GIFs and Why Do We Use Them?
Our Site has a dedicated section on cookies which you can read here.
We gather and share information concerning the usage of the Site by Owners and Travellers with one or more third-party tracking companies for the purpose of reporting statistics. In this connection, some of the pages you visit on our Site use electronic images placed in the web page code, called pixel tags (also called a “clear GIFs” or “Web Beacons”) that can serve many of the same purposes as cookies. Please click here to see the cookies we use when you browse our site.
Web beacons may be used to track the traffic patterns of users from one page to another in order to maximise web traffic flow. Our third-party advertising service providers may also use Web Beacons to recognise you when you visit the Site and to help determine how you found the Site. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Display of Tailored Advertising/Your Choices
Like other companies operating online, this site participates in cookie-based exchanges where anonymous information is collected about your browsing behaviour through cookies and other technologies and segmented into different topics of interest (such as travel). These topics of interest are then shared with third parties, including advertisers and ad networks, so they can tailor advertisements to your apparent interests. We do not share personal information (such as your email address) with these companies and we do not permit these companies to collect any such information about you on our site. Please click here to learn more about cookie-based exchanges, including how to access information about the topics of interest associated with cookies on your computer and how to decline participation in these programs.
How Do I Correct or Update My Information?
We allow our users the option to change or modify information previously provided. This may be done by sending the request to us at Customer Support or by updating the relevant details in your account.
In certain jurisdictions, you may have rights to provide us with instructions regarding the manner in which your personal data may be processed after your death. This can include how Applelets may continue to store, erase and share your personal data, and where applicable, the person you have designated to exercise these rights after your death.
How Do I Opt-out of Receiving Marketing Communications From You?
You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by the following means:
- Contact us at Customer Support;
- Follow the instructions included in each communication or newsletter;
- Use the Unsubscribe function; or
- Mail the request to us at the contact details provided below.
Please remember that if you change your preference it may take a short time for those preferences to become effective.
How long will we keep your personal information?
The Site may contain links to third parties’ websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those websites. The Site may also contain links to terms and conditions and privacy policies of third party providers who provide tools or services on the Site. Therefore, please read carefully any privacy policies on those links or websites before either agreeing to their terms or using those websites.
How Do I Contact You?
If you are unhappy with their answers you can also contact our UK Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The data controller for any personal information you provide to us through this Site is Applelets Limited of Royal Arsenal Gatehouse, Beresford Square, London SE18 6AR. Applelets Limited is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office under registration number Z000000.